Sunday, January 10, 2010

Shadowland (The Immortals #3) By Alyson Noel Review #35

Author: Alyson Noel
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffins
Pages: 368
Rating:
Ever and Damen have traveled through countless past lives—and fought off the world’s darkest enemies—so they could be together forever. But just when their long-awaited destiny is finally within reach, a powerful curse falls upon Damen…one that could destroy everything. Now a single touch of their hands or a soft brush of their lips could mean sudden death—plunging Damen into the Shadowland. Desperate to break the curse and save Damen, Ever immerses herself in magick—and gets help from an unexpected source…a surfer named Jude. Although she and Jude have only just met, he feels startlingly familiar. Despite her fierce loyalty to Damen, Ever is drawn to Jude, a green-eyed golden boy with magical talents and a mysterious past. She’s always believed Damen to be her soulmate and one true love—and she still believes it to be true. But as Damen pulls away to save them, Ever’s connection with Jude grows stronger—and tests her love for Damen like never before…

1.An-noy-ance (Annoyance); the feeling of being annoyed. 2. Hope-less-ness (Hopelessness); providing no hope.
That is how I felt about this book, I can't explain it in words so I need a dictionary to do it for me. When Evermore first came out, I was really happy with the outcome of the book. Same with Blue Moon. So when Shadowland , book 3, came around I was ecstatic. I was bouncing up and down, and quickly bought it as soon as it was in stores. Sadly the turn of events in this book left me on the edge of a cliff, and worried about the future of this series. Now please forgive me for this, but I'm going to bring up the Twilight Saga. If you've ever heard me talk about this before, you'll know that I deeply believe that the Twilight Saga should of just been Twilight. That's right, it should of been a stand-alone novel (no New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn). Twilight was awesome, amazing, and the other books in the series just really did need to be there. Though, I'm not going to lie, seeing Taylor Lautner strip off his shirt in New Moon Movie was nice. Anyways that's how I'm sort of feeling about The Immortal Series , right now. And if Dark Flame (Immortal Series #4) doesn't bring the goodness of the first two books then I might be giving up.
Now let me tell you that what bother me so much about this book is that it was like the same plot/story of Blue Moon except with different characters playing the wounded Damen and, adding new characters along the line. Also adding a second love interest, Jude, to the mix making this series a love triangle.
I was really bothered/annoyed with Damen in this book, and was at one point about to scream at him. I mean what guy leaves a girl for 3 months alone? What guy thinks he knows everything about what a girl wants? I mean Damen, you should be lucky that Ever is so drawn to you because right now I believe that she should be with Jude. Jude is a sweet, nice guy who I actually really adored throughout the story. Ever is a bit selfish, needy and impatient. I mean why is she in such a rush to sleep with her boyfriend? I know they haven't done it in a million years, but she doesn't remember. I mean why can't she just accept that Damen isn't dead, she should be happy she saved him from Roman. But instead she's worried about not sleeping with her boyfriend. She's so desperate and it ends up getting her into trouble. You'd think she realize that the first time, but no. But now...now what she has done in this book will be interesting to see how it plays out in the next book.
The story was slow *it pick up in a few places* and the ending didn't leave me wanting more. Though I do agree with other bloggers that Alyson Noel might of just been working up towards a bigger outcome for Dark Flame.
What I thought could of been developed more was the story line. It was to similar to Blue Moon in many ways. I won't say why, because I would be giving away things in the story. I also thought there could of been more action.
I think the main reason I made it through this whole book is because of Roman & Romy/Rayne. They're seriously, like, the best characters ever. Some of Roman's dialogue can keep me laughing for hours. I give the author credit, for having wonderful, quirky dialogue that can easily make the readers laugh. The other thing I enjoy about this book, is that some of the places that Damen & Ever visited I had actually been to. I live in Canada, but when I was in the U.S.A I went to same art gallery they went to. That's all I can think of, I think I just spilt all of the thoughts that have been stuck in my mind for the last day. Until next time yours truly,


11 comments:

Raíla said...

I've recently read Shadowland and I had the same feeling you had. Alyson totally failed with the book that we were expecting so much to be the best of the series. I got so pretty disappointed.

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I'm glad you've given such an honest review. I have the whole series waiting for me, and I prefer to be prepared when diving in :)

Shweta said...

I loved Evermore and am yet to read the other books. So thanks for this honest review. When we anticipate books so much and they turn out to be bummers it hurts ..

Nayuleska said...

I've only just started Evermore and like it. Despite the review, I'm still looking forward to reading Shadowland .

Unknown said...

Oh dear what a disappointment for you. I understand your Twilight point although I couldn't get enough of one Edward Cullen and yes I will never forget the moment when Taylor Lautner takes his shirt off and got a cinema full of oohs and whistling. In the UK we do not have audience participation in the cinema. Back to Shadowland, great review!

Kirthi said...

I just read this, I totally agree, this book was SO annoying!! Ackk! I was very disappointed! I also agree with the "Twilight" issue, Evermore should've been it's own book.
Damen was annoying in this book.

Great review, you said it all! :D I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this like I didn't

Kirthi said...

You also won an award at my blog!

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

What, what, what? Nooo, I was debating on whether or not to read this one after I was disappointed by Blue Moon. Damien = *sob* Great honest review though, and I guess I'm going to have to think a LOT before buying this one.

Patricia said...

I know what you mean and to some extent I agree. I think Shadowland at times was a bit unnecessary. Although I enjoyed it. I didn't *love* it.

Nina said...

I havent read the series, but i seriousley dont know if it's worth the read. I don't think i am going to like them!

Great honest review!

IceJewel said...

Oh.I have read Evermore.It was dragged a lot in the middle which i found very boring.But, Inspite of that I wanted to read the next in the series !
sad that this book didn't turn out to be good :(
thanks for your honest review :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design