Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Captivate (Need #2) By Carrie Jones Review #38

Author: Carrie Jones
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Pages: 288
Rating:
Zara and her friends knew they hadn't solved the pixie problem for good. Far from it. The king's needs grow deeper every day he's stuck in captivity, while his control over his people gets weaker. It's made him vulnerable. And now there's a new king in town. A turf war is imminent, since the new pixie king, Astley, is moving in quickly. Nick nearly killed him in the woods on day one, but Zara came to his rescue. Astley swears that he and Zara are destined to be together, that he's one of the good guys. Nick isn't buying it, though Zara isn't as sure -- despite herself, she wants to trust the new king. But it's a lot more than her relationship with Nick that is at stake. It's her life -- and his.

"Where art thou Need? For thou has left me starving for more!" Ah, I think I'm going into hibernation now. I don't think I can survive another year or two until the third book comes out, because I'm hungry for more. Curse you Carrie Jones for making such a addicting and alluring series! Curse you for making Nick so hot, that I wish he was my boyfriend. Curse you for making Issie so adorable & making references to Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. Curse you for making Zara such a awesome character. Curse you for...I don't know. All I do know, for sure, is that Need is currently one of my favorite series out there. It's so awesome, and I don't think any words that I write will benefit to how amazing the actual series is. The sequel certainly lived up to my expectations, and even caught me off guard for I never imagined the storyline to take this path. I mean I didn't know what to expect, when I bought the sequel other then Astley is going to be in it. The story picks up, where Need left off and through out the novel we meet new characters (Astley, King #3, Cassidy) and our favorites are returning (Zara, Nick, Issie, Devyn, Betty). I wanted to take a moment to talk about Cassidy, Astley & Nick. First, Astley is hot and second I'm still wondering about him. I guess, I don't really understand him. Cassidy on the other hand intrigued me. I felt this novel doesn't really explain her well enough yet (or let the readers get to know her) and I'm excited to learn more about her in the third book. Nick is cool, a bit judgmental but cool. There was only one part I found a bit annoying about him and Zara in Captivate. In this novel, they're very lovey-dovey. Which is understandable, but very uncomfortable at times. I wonder if that how Zara's classmates feel when they're around her and Nick. I mean a person can only say baby so many times *I think*. Another thing I noticed, and this isn't a complaint, is that Zara's name is spelled Zare a lot of the time in the book. Did anyone else notice that?? I don't really have anything bad to say about this book and if your were to ask me to pinpoint a reason for why I like this book so much, I don't think I could answer. I don't know why this series draws me in so much. Maybe for it's funny and entertaining writing style or the fact that someone knows that much phobias. I don't know, all I know is I adore it. I do know that some of the thoughts and dialogue in this book (and previous) are priceless. They are quote worthy, seriously. Also I enjoyed the fact that every chapter was a pixie advice sort of deal, I thought that was unique. And the reason for that is Zara and her friends are making a book on how to survive pixies. Another thing is, I don't want to give anything away but, what happens to Zara at the end of the book made me have mixed emotions. I really wanted her to be her old self, but also wanted her to be her new self. You'll probably understand that part if you have read the book.

So in the end Captivate did a very good job of entertaining me and left me hungry for more. It was a nice, quick and easy read and will certainly satisfy fans of Need. So in all, I certainly recommend it.

Yours Truly,


6 comments:

Lizzy said...

I've got this one on my shelf, and I can't wait to read it! I really enjoyed Need, although I'd heard mixed reviews of it. Great review!

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

Arghhh I have both these books on my TBR pile, and I never seem to get to them! Excellent review...perhaps I should push the books to the top, eh? :)

Shweta said...

Great review. I have already put it on my list.

YA Book Queen said...

Awesome review! Ha, I've heard that Nick does call Zara (or Zare, lol) "baby" a lot in this one...but glad to know it was still really good! :D

Unknown said...

This fills me with confidence for reading Need now. So glad I have a copy! Yay!

Alyssa Kirk said...

I'm about to read this and am looking forward to it. Great review!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design