Saturday, January 2, 2010

Cat O'Nine Tails (A Cat Royal Adventure #4) Review #31

Author: Julia Golding
Publisher: Egmont Books LTD
Rating:
His Majesty's Ship Courageous this present day calls all able bodied volunteers who desire great honour by serving the Royal Navy. Loyalty, courage and gallantry will be met with the warmest encouragement from Commander of the King's ship, Captain Barton. Early applications for the voyage are welcomed as Courageous will sail with immediate despatch. God Save the King.

Presenting the fourth volume from our famous feisty heroine Cat Royal... In which Cat becomes an unlikely recruit for the British Navy, takes passage to America and navigates her way through a fiendish plot to do away with Lord Francis, heir to a dukedom. From the grand Assembly Rooms of Bath to the wilds of a new frontier, Cat finds she is for once quite out of her depth. All aboard, Cat's going abroad.

Fantastic! Super! Amazing! Is there any words better then that to describe this book & the rest of the Cat Royal Series? I mean Cat Royal is probably, in my opinion, the strongest female heroine I have encounter so far in YA/MG fiction. She is smart, and isn't afraid to be herself, even with the time period. She is a great role model, and I look up to her in many ways. Julia Golding has this special talent about her to create books that are addictive and attractive to everyone who reads them, Cat Royal Adventures are no exception. If I had to rate all the Cat Royal books I would give each one a four stars, except maybe the third boo: Den Of Thieves. I haven't reviewed any of Julia Golding books on my site, but if you ever hear me talk about my favorite authors then you'll know that shes one of them. I can read any of her books, more then once. They're addicting.
In this book Cat, Pedro, Syd and Frank get kidnapped and put on the ship, called the Courageous. Cat has to once again, dress up as a boy and pretend she is one. She goes all over the world from Bath, all the way to America. She even becomes a part of Creek Indian Family. When you read a Cat Royal book you learn a lot about the past, but also about different culture customs & racism.
Why do I like this book, or any of the other books? I have no idea. Maybe because they're entertaining, not boring, or maybe it has something to do with Cat. You never get bored with Cat or get annoyed with her. You just simply adore her. I also love all the possible relationships she could have with guys (There's Frank, Syd, Billy, and maybe even Pedro). Though I root for Cat and Billy, I do have a soft spot for Syd :)
But what I didn't like about this book is a) I thought some scenes could of been cut out, they were not really necessary. B) I thought that the person who betrayed Cat & her friends could have been better hinted at. C) I thought that the words, old words, that should have been in the glossary, weren't.
My favorite scene? Is the ending when one of Cat's friend has a baby, and she has to watch. I love what she says afterwords,
"Yes, she's fine now, though it was worse than a storm at sea giving life to that armful of trouble. Syd and Pedro looked at Lizzie in awe. 'Put me off having children, I can tell you," I added. (Page. 378)
I cracked up when I heard her say that. Whenever you read a Cat Royal novel, you're in for: adventure, new knowledge, and a bunch of laughter. In all the fourth book in the series live up to the expectations of what I have for The Cat Royal Series. Until next time, yours truly,

5 comments:

Morgan @ BLT said...

There's a award on my blog for you!

Unknown said...

I've never heard of this series but it sounds really good and I love cats! Excellent review!

Wyn said...

Happy New Year. Glad to meet another Saskatchewanite. I used to love the early navy books when I was teen. I wonder if it has something to do with being so far away from the sea! I'm a Cancer too so here's to a fabulous year for the both of us.

http://wynsbooks.blogspot.com

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

this looks so great! what a lovely review :)

Unknown said...

I haven't read this series but I have read other books by Julia Golding. I love The Companions Quartet and I really enjoyed Wolf Cry. Great review.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design