Monday, January 10, 2011

Unearthly By Cynthia Hand Review #74

Author: Cynthia Hand
Publisher: Harperteen
Pages: 435
Source: Amazon Canada
Available: Now
Challenges: Debut
First Line: "In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees."
Rating: 3/5

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.
BEST PLOT TWIST EVER!!! Did not see that coming, near the end. That aside I did not hate Unearthly, but I didn't love it either. I started out loving it to death, and that emotion returned at the end, but the middle drag it all down. The main problem with this novel is it's two slow and drags a bit. Nothing exciting really happens until the end. Sure the center of the book has all the elements and hints leading to the climax, but it's still to slow. That is the only problem I see with this book. Theirs nothing wrong with the dialogue, storyline, characters and so on.

With the bad aside lets move onto the good. What did I enjoy most about this book? That the girl saves the boy in this novel. Or let me scratch that, the idea of it being a girl rescuing a boy instead of the usual cliche. I think that's what sets this book apart from so many YA paranormal romances.

Our leading lady in this novel is Clara. I give props to Cynthia Hand for making the protagonist realistic and believable(even though Clara is a rather odd situation). How the teens interact in this novel is right on. Clara has her angel problems and then she has her adolescent problems. Such as hair and the worries of what people think about her. She isn't afraid to stand up for herself and won't be treated like garbage from a boy.

My favorite character was Angela and Jeffrey!!!

BOYS!!! Tucker or Christian? Which team are you on?? I'm kind of both, but I really love Tucker. Both leading man are sexy and have unique personalities. I think this novel kind of reflected Clara's relationship with Tucker, and I have a feeling that the next novel will be more Christian Orientated.

I also have a feeling that something bigger is coming in this series. I think the first novel was kind of a lead up for the second one. A lot of questions are not answered in this book which leaves me pondering what will happen next. The ending didn't really do me any justice but it's the buildup of questions that I have that make me excited for the sequel.

Overall it's a good book. I'll definitely be looking out for the sequel, and if your looking for a good angel book then I recommend Unearthly.
Yours Truly,

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice review! I keep hearing good things about this book. but Im not really into angels hehe

Unknown said...

You're making me so curious about that twist and the guys :)

I would also dislike the slowness of it, but your review has peaked my interest. Can't wait to read this one!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design