Saturday, January 1, 2011

NightShade by Andrea Cremer Review # 70

Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Philomel Books
Pages: 452
Source: Chapters
Available: Now
First Line: "I'd always welcomed war, but in battle my passion rose unbidden."
Rating: 4/5

Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

Who doesn't love this cover?? I think the little computer image can't do the actual cover-in-hand justice. It's absolutely fantastic and beautiful. I had bought this book back in October in one of the airport book stores mainly out of the love of the cover. Luckily the story doesn't fail to impress me either.

The story follow Calla on her journey to finding out who she loves and testing all her cultural beliefs along the way. Told in first person the reader gets the insight of Calla and her life. Calla is a pretty interesting, rebellious character and she is hard not to love. Same with a lot of the other characters. I won't talk much about the boys but I'm definitely Team Ren :)

What I enjoyed the most of Nightshade was the writing. Andrea Cremer is a wonderful story teller. How she writes just comes, literally, to life. After a while you'll wonder if Calla and her pack is fictional or not. Ms. Cremer was able to make every dialogue and description is enjoyable and easy to imagine.

The only reason I didn't give this book 5 stars was the length. I thought it could of been a hundred or two hundred pages shorter. At about three hundred it started to drag a bit. The ending was confusing as well, but I think that was intentional for the next book in the series.

Overall Nightshade was a great 2010 debut and a dazzling start to a series.
Yours Truly,

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't read this yet, but seen a LOT of reviews!
And you're right about the length, I've seen it at the library, and its intimidating to pick up lol!

I'm a new follower, please follow back :)!

Hafsah @ IceyBooks

Ellz said...

I loved this book, but I agree, it was a bit long. I can't wait to read more in this series, Wolfsbane I think is the next one. That won't be until July though.

Test said...

Great review! I just finished this book recently, and while it took me a while to get through some of it (I agree with your comment about length, it should have been edited down at least 100-200 pages), I'm glad I stuck through it, because the overall story is pretty awesome.

DaydreamerN said...

i am just about to read this book. I have heard good things bout this book. great review!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design