Thursday, January 6, 2011

Shadowspells by Jenna Black Review #73

Author: Jenna Black
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Pages: 304
Source: Amazon Kindle Store
Available: Now
First Line: "Going on a date with a bodyguard hanging over your shoulder sucks."
Rating:5/5

On top of spending most of her time in a bunkerlike safe house and having her dates hijacked by a formidable Fae bodyguard, Faeriewalker Dana Hathaway is in for some more bad news: the Erlking and his pack of murderous minions known as the Wild Hunt have descended upon Avalon. With his homicidal appetite and immortal powers, the Erlking has long been the nightmare of the Fae realm. A fragile treaty with the Faerie Queen, sealed with a mysterious spell, is the one thing that keeps him from hunting unchecked in Avalon, the only place on Earth where humans and Fae live together. Which means Dana’s in trouble, since it’s common knowledge that the Faerie Queen wants her – and her rare Faeriewalker powers – dead. The smoldering, sexy Erlking’s got his sights set on Dana, but does he only seek to kill her, or does he have something much darker in mind?

If I haven't made myself clear with "The Top 3 Books of 2010" and "Glimmerglass Review 5/5", then I don't know how to express my love for Jenna Black's Faeriewalker series. This is already the second book in the series and I'm still feeling the love and joy I had for the first one. The only sad thing to tell everyone is I was not able to get a actual paperback copy of the book from the store or amazon. The store hasn't had it in for a week and I'm to impatient to wait and I didn't want to spend extra money, for shipping, from amazon Canada. So in the end, in dire desperation, I used the kindle. I only use the kindle in extreme needs as I enjoy reading paperback/hardbacks more. In the end I was able to complete Shadowspells in less then a day and I'm already sadden by the fact that the next book doesn't come out till July 2011.

Shadowspell picks up right where Glimmerglass ended. We're given good background info on what happened in the previous novel and reunited with our favorite characters: Dana, Ethan (the playboy), Kimber, Finnm Keane, Mom and Dad. New characters such as Connor, The Hunt and The Erlking appear.

I must admit admit Dana got a tad bit rebellious in this novel. A part of me wants to yell at her and complain, saying that if she just listened then none of the bad stuff would of happened. And since she didn't listen that this should be a life's lesson for her. But in the end she is a teenager and I would have done the same thing.

Ethan's playboy attitude becomes problematic in Shaowspell and with all that occur in the book it will certainly test his ability to be non-player in the third book.

Ok this is not really a spoiler but I'm seriously wondering: Will Dana and Keane ever hook up? Or will they just fighting with each other? It was nice to see a bit of Keane's soft side and more to his character in this novel but I'm seriously wondering if will ever see more Dana/Keane.

My favorite character, who made me swoon, was the Erlking. I definitely can't wait to see how his character further develops in the third story.

In the previous novel I had troubles picturing Avalon, luckily in Shadowspell that wasn't the case. I really, honestly, can't find anything wrong with this book. I know a book is never perfect, but I can't find one single thing that bother me. I thought the plot was well crafted and gave the perfect twist. I only figured there was something more to the Erlking's deal when he mention what he wanted. I was surprised that Dana didn't question further before making the sacrifice.
But now that, that's happened it will give more drama to the third book.

I think the Erlking like's Dana. I really think he does. He may be tricky and like everyone else in Avalon uses Dana for her powers. But he always got more planned then he lets on. He plays his cards right. And everything he does in return protects Dana. Though I could be totally wrong about this.

Overall Shadowspell was FANTASTIC, MESMERIZING, A PAGE TURNER & will have the readers on the edge of their seats wondering what will happen next.
Yours Truly,

3 comments:

Nina said...

I cannot wait to read Glimmerglass. I have it already lying on my shelves, but I didn't had the time to read it. :) Going to start very soon! :) Great review.

Unknown said...

Awesome review! I got Glimmerglass and I so need to read it hehe =D

Alison Can Read said...

I didn't even realize this was out yet. I love Keane. Ethan is a bit of a playboy like you said but still loveable. But Keane is my fav.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design