Friday, April 30, 2010

Sing Me To Sleep By Angela Morrison Review #59

Author: Angela Morrison
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 320
Thanks: Angela Morrison & International Book Tours
Available: Now!!
Rating:

THE TRANSFORMATION
Beth has always been “The Beast”—that’s what everyone at school calls her because of her awkward height, facial scars, and thick glasses. Beth’s only friend is geeky, golden-haired Scott. That is, until she’s selected to be her choir’s soprano soloist, and receives the makeover that will change her life forever.

THE LOVE AFFAIR
When Beth’s choir travels to Switzerland, she meets Derek: pale, brooding, totally dreamy. Derek’s untethered passion—for music, and for Beth—leaves her breathless. Because in Derek’s eyes? She’s not The Beast, she’s The Beauty.

THE IMPOSSIBLE CHOICE
When Beth comes home, Scott, her best friend in the world, makes a confession that leaves her completely torn. Should she stand by sweet, steady Scott or follow the dangerous, intense new feelings she has for Derek?

THE HEARTBREAK
The closer Beth gets to Derek, the further away he seems. Then Beth discovers that Derek’s been hiding a dark secret from her …one that could shatter everything.

This is the type of a book that leaves you thinking afterwords. It's a book that you can't get out of your head. It makes you sad, but knowledgeable at the same time. Originally I was going to rate this 3 stars, because until the end I found this a so-so book. Derek's secret was obvious, Beth was annoying *even though probably a really realistic portrayal of people* and I couldn't stand her until the end, and it was a slow book. It was slow until 100 pages in, then it would go fast, then slow, then fast and continual of pattern until the end. Where it would stay at a fast pace. But man does this author have a way of words. The writing will seem weird to readers, especially since the author describe every little detail *some which are really unnecessary*, but makes it a beautiful portrayal of life. The end is a tear jerker, you won't be able to stop *even when the book is finished*. Even though you will know what is going to happen in the end, you can't help but weep. And that is what really proves to me that this a beautiful book worthy of, four stars. It's a story that can happen in real life, and the author did it in the way it would happen.
The romance between Derek & Beth was strong. Beth was a innocent, naive and selfish girl who really was still growing. I really hated it when she always accused Derek of cheating, or not liking her. I also didn't like it when she would believe what her friends (who probably only liked her because she had a makeover) told her. The main issue I had with this book is the transformation. I really think that is sending girls the wrong message. I really hated Beth for changing herself, and I think she wouldn't have been bullied if she hadn't been so insecure of herself. I understand her childhood problems, but changing yourself isn't the answer. I mean she changes herself (gets the cute boy & all the popular girls <--who were mean to her before). Also some of the minor characters that bullied Beth should of been in there longer. I also really enjoyed Scott!! He was the coolest guy, though I did start to get angry with him when he changed his attitude (and tried to force himself on Beth). Overall this is a really good book. It's most certainly a tear-jerker, and will leave you with inspiring thoughts. Yours Truly,

2 comments:

Meridi Myers said...

Thank you for the honest review! This is not my typical read, but it sounds like it's a powerful book, and now I'm intrigued!

Ladytink_534 said...

I'm not sure if I would enjoy this one or not. Some of what I've heard has been good and some so-so. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much though!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design