Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Awakening By Kelly Armstrong Review #53

Author: Kelly Armstrong
Publisher: Doubleday Canada
Pages: 368
Rating:

If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl – someone normal. Now my life has changed forever and I’m as far away from normal as it gets. A living science experiment – not only can I see ghosts, but I was genetically altered by a group of people who call themselves The Edison Group. What does that mean? For starters, I’m a teenage necromancer whose powers are out of control: I raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever.
I’m running for my life with three of my supernatural friends – a charming sorcerer, a cynical werewolf, and a disgruntled witch – and we have to find someone who can help us gain our freedom back before The Edison Group finds us first. Or die trying.

This one definitely didn't live up to the first book, The Summoning. But I enjoyed it!!! The reason I thought it did not do as well as the first is because there was little happening. I agree with what one blogger said, who I forget who that is, that the main books are The Summoning & The Reckoning. And the Awakening is just kind of a filler to help accomplish those two books.
I also wished there was more Liz & Rae in it!!

The paste was fast, and I never got bored. There wasn't any major surprises in the story, but the characters continue to grow. My favorites are Derk & Chloe. I must say my favorite thing about this series, right now, is the dialogue. It's certainly makes me laugh at times.

I'll be interested to see how the third book turns out, and if my presumption about the first & third book is correct.
So overall, could of been better but it satisfied me enough to want to read the third book.

5 comments:

Shy said...

This series does sound interesting. I was a bit torn as to which series I should try to read next, but I think I'd go for this one. You're going to read the third book anytime soon?

Test said...

I actually really enjoyed this one; I even liked it more then The Summoning. Though I can see your points in it not being as good as the Summoning. Since I would have loved to seen more Liz & Rae too. Hopefully, you'll enjoy The Reckoning more. :)

Nina said...

I still have this series on my tbr list, and as Shy I think this series will be on my shelfs in two weeks. :) Too bad that there wasnt so much happening in the book, but I am glad that you are still interesting in how it will end. :)
Great review.

Unknown said...

It is so frustrating when a book has the middle book feeling. ust a filler book. I am wondering if I should buy myself copy of The Summoning or just borrow it from the library. Great honest review.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Filler books are never too fun but I hope the third is great for you. I really do need to read these. I think my sister has the first one, so must check...

-Lauren

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design