Friday, April 16, 2010

The Gardener By S.A Bodeen Review #58

Author: S.A Bodeen
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Pages: 240
Available: May 25th, 2010
Thanks To: Ksenia @ Macmillan Children's Publishing Group
Rating:

Mason has never known his father, but longs to. All he has of him is a DVD of a man whose face is never seen, reading a children’s book. One day, on a whim, he plays the DVD for a group of comatose teens at the nursing home where his mother works. One of them, a beautiful girl, responds. Mason learns she is part of a horrible experiment intended to render teenagers into autotrophs—genetically engineered, self-sustaining life-forms who don’t need food or water to survive. And before he knows it, Mason is on the run with the girl, and wanted, dead or alive, by the mysterious mastermind of this gruesome plan, who is simply called the Gardener. Will Mason be forced to destroy the thing he’s longed for most?

Simply a irresistible & captivating read. S.A Bodeen does a great job at taking an important topic, and turning it into something uniquely new. I literally could not put this book down, and when I did I was left thinking about it afterwords.

The most fascinating thing about this book, is you really felt that you were on the run from something. Everything was fast, there was no time to catch your breath. And I loved that!! I really did!! The characters were all fantastic, and I didn't hate a single one of them. My favorites were Mason & the girl (I won't say her name, since that might be a bit of a spoiler). Mason was your typical, nice guy. He is similar to one of my friends. He is the tall, love-able type (even with is scary scar on his face). And he always wants to do the right thing. Which did get him confused at times, but made him the first male protagonist (that I've read) who isn't turned down by how popular/uncool he is or how strong/weak he is.

This book is a page-turner. The writing, dialogue, characters, realism and so fourth was perfect. I can't find anything that I hated about this book, or bugged me. Yes the identity of The Gardener is a bit obvious, but who was the real antagonist blew me off guard.

Overall, this is a great and easy read that you can definitely do in one sitting. The novel will make you think and wonder. And the ending, will most certainly leave you screaming for more.
Yours Truly,

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh this is the second fab review I have read of The Gardener this week. A page-turner with a surprising antagonist? Exciting!

Blueicegal ♥ said...

wow ive never heared of this one but it sounds amazing! thanks for this, ps im now also following you happy reading!

Alyssa Kirk said...

I really think Jake is going to like this one so I was happy to see your fantastic review. Thanks!

Test said...

When I first heard about this one, I have to admit, I wasn't sure if I was going to give it a chance. Though, now with your great review, I think I'm going to pick it up since it sounds great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design