Thursday, February 25, 2010

Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore Review #46

Author: Jaclyn Dolamore
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children Books
Pages: 225
Rating:
Nimira is a foreign music-hall girl forced to dance for mere pennies. When wealthy sorcerer Hollin Parry hires her to sing with a piano-playing automaton, Nimira believes it is the start of a new and better life. In Parry's world, however, buried secrets are beginning to stir. Unsettling below-stairs rumors swirl about ghosts, a madwoman roaming the halls, and Parry's involvement with a league of sorcerers who torture fairies for sport. Then Nimira discovers the spirit of a fairy gentleman named Erris is trapped inside the clockwork automaton, waiting for someone to break his curse. The two fall into a love that seems hopeless, and breaking the curse becomes a race against time, as not just their love, but the fate of the entire magical world may be in peril.

Just before I get started, I would like to state *in my own opinion* I actually liked the old Magic Under Glass cover compared to this one. I understand the whole racial issue, but I felt the previous one fit the book more. Anyways moving on....

Magic Under Glass is a magical delight from debut author Jaclyn Dolamore. I've been excited for this one for a while, and happy to have finally read it. I was not really disappointed with it. It's a quick, easy read that was enjoyable. It was a bit predictable in areas, and I though Nimira's world could have been more laid out (example; a map would be nice). I also thought the love relationship between Erris and Nimira could of been more developed, it felt a bit to rush and unrealistic. Also the dialogue was a bit impractical, making the emotion lack in some areas. But even through all that, it was a amazing, interesting read. The story line was well put together and I was excited for every chapter. I loved all the characters, even the antagonist. I can't really choose a favorite, it's too hard. Maybe Nimira & Erris. I also thought it was pretty strong of how Nimira took the racism in a different country. She showed a lot of her culture in the book, by showing the difference of what is acceptable in one country and what is not in another. Which goes to show that what we take for granted, other cultures might not. I really noticed how much I take for granted in my country, when I went to Japan for two weeks.
The ending hinted at a sequel, and I'm hoping there will be one because this book would feel uncompleted without it.
Yours Truly,


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've been wondering what the new cover looks like. I very much like your review; it has a different take from others I've read.

Shweta said...

Nice review Maura.. I think the new cover is awesome .I need to read this ASAP..

Darlyn said...

i love the new cover more.but the important thing is the content though.great review Maura. =)

Nina said...

Great review for a strong book. I have this on my tbr list and cant wait to read it. The new cover is amazing!

Lauren said...

Great review. I think I'll like this - it seems like something a bit different from other similar titles I've read. Liking the new cover too!

Christina / Book Addict said...

Great review. I've had my eye on this book for some time. The whole cover controversy was crazy.....I kind of like the old one better, too.

Eleni said...

Great review! I'm on the fence about reading this one...eh I'll prolly wait a little longer ;P

Amelia said...

Great review Maura! I've really been wondering about whether I should read this or not...
Thanks for a great (and honest) review - it definitely helped me out! :D

Diana Dang said...

I love both covers but I wouldn't have mind to get either one. Great review!

Unknown said...

I admire you for saying your opinion about the cover. That was brave but not something I necessarily agree with. Certainly it had the magical feel to it and the new one is lacking it. But I'm sure you'll agree that whitewashing is unacceptable and not something that can be ignored.
Anyhow, on to the review. I agree the dialogue was a little flawed but otherwise I thought it was a great book too. I think I read in an author interview that there is going to be a sequel.

Erica said...

I really enjoyed this book - but I am NOT a fan of the new cover at all.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design