Friday, February 19, 2010

The Iron King By Julie Kagawa Review #45

Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin; Original edition
Pages:368
Rating:
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

If I had a dream/mind/imagination machine, and I could step into anyone's mind then I definitely choose Julie Kagawa's. For she must have a very creative mind to come up with The Iron King. I was very pleased with the outcome of this book, and very proud of the author for being a debut. This is a great book to publish, to start a career with. It's fun, witty, lovable, fast paste, adventurous and has boys *romance interests* that will have you drooling. You certainly will have a very special spot, in your heart, for this novel.

The story begins with Megan Chase finding out that her step brother, isn't her step brother. He's a changeling, and her real brother has been kidnapped and is in the fairy world (called Nevernever). Now Megan and her friend Robbie are off to save little Ethan (Megan's Step Brother). As the Journey continues Ash (Queen Mab's son) and Grimalkin (cat) join along.

The story will grasp you from the first page and won't let you go until your done. I almost read this in one sitting. The characters are amazing, you can't help but fall in love with all of them (including the villains). Meghan is a typical teenager, who the readers can relate to. She's not cool (though she wishes to fit in). My favorite character of the whole book (besides Meghan) was Puck and Ash. When you put those two boys together, they made witty dialogue that will have you laughing. Also Ash is sexy, I mean I would certainly want him as my boyfriend *even if he is deadly*. Though Puck is cute to, in the best friend sort of way. I also thought the little pack rats were adorable. I seriously think that this book should be made into a movie or a video game. I would love to see that!!

The idea of the book takes a common theme, (faeries) and turns it into something new and extraordinary. I really didn't think when I picked up the book, that it would go in the direction that it did. But I'm happy that it went that way. The writing is very well done, and easy to follow and imagine. The dialogue can be very witty and quirky, which was a beautiful experience. Examples are: -"I'm a...an otaku faery,' I said, drawing a confused scowl from the chief and bewildered looks from the rest of the camp. Whispers began to erupt from the crowd, gaining strength like wildfire. 'A what?' 'Ain't never 'erd of that before.' 'Is it tasty?' 'Can we eat it?" -"So.' I turned back to the cat. '.....Congratulations. What do I owe you for this one? Another favor or life debt? My firstborn child?"

Some things that I thought of, while reading this book is that Oberon's Knights reminded me of the game Kingdom Hearts for some odd reason. And the antagonist, I imagined, looked like Draco Malfoy's dad from The Harry Potter series. A younger version though.

When I was thinking of things that could be developed in this book, I came to a dead end. But by the end I figured something that I thought needed more work. The relationship between Ash & Meghan is to rushed, especially there first kiss. I also, in my own complaint, was sad to see Ash enter so late in the book. But when he did enter, he gave me full fan-girl satisfaction.

I'm very excited and anticipating the sequel, The Iron Daughter which will be released August 1st, 2010. So if your in for a entertaining ride, then hop onto the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa.

Yours Truly,

6 comments:

Kate said...

I love the sound of "The Iron King". Superb review! It sounds like my type of book. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Nina said...

Wow, I have this book on my wishlist and I cant wait to read it for myself. It sounds so amazing! Great review.

You just received an award at my blog;
http://jadorehappyendings.blogspot.com/2010/02/awards.html

Unknown said...

Sounds absolutely fantastic. What a great review!

Christina / Book Addict said...

I can't wait to read this one! I just bought it! Great review!

Also, I gave your blog an award! Hope you have a great weekend!
http://bookaddictchris.blogspot.com/2010/02/lovely-award.html

Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

This is on my Must Read list. I really want it, all I see are awesome reviews!

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

Awesome review!I reading this one now! Loving it so far!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design