Saturday, February 27, 2010

Living Dead Girl Review #47

Author: Elizabeth Scott
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 176
Rating:
When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends -- her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over. Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her. This is Alice's story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget.

This is a horrifying, disturbing and terrifying tale of a young girl who was abducted when she was 10. The story involves issues such as kidnapping and child abuse (sexual, verbal and physical). And the sickening thing about it, is you can't put it down. When you do, you want to read more and more. You feel yourself stuck in Alice's world, and you won't be able to escape it until Alice does. And I think that is the biggest, highest applaud I can give to Elizabeth, is that she is able to connect the readers with Alice. Even though, I'm guessing, none or pretty much all of the readers have not been in this situation. But even though the book is extremely well written, I don't think this is a memorable book. It's not a book you walk away from afterwords, and are still thinking about it a week later. I guess to me, it's easily forgettable. But you cannot look past how brave a author must be, to publish something like this.
The characters were really brought to life. Through out the whole book you feel for Alice, but you also don't understand her in some situations. And when you think about those problems, you see why her solutions or feelings are understandable. Though I still think it was stupid not to tell the police officer what was happening, but I can understand why. She has a child's thinking. Ray, the kidnapper, was so twisted that it was unbelievable. He had serious mental issues , that probably related to his child hood with his mother.
In my own opinion, I thought the beginning was a bit rushed and could of had more explanation. I wish the beginning was taken a bit slower then it was. I also thought the ending was poor in that it was confusing. I would of liked to seen the aftermath of being free. I also thought the emotion lacked in some areas.
Living Dead Girl is a beautifully written book that's message and truth will leave you unsettled. Each page will leave you wanting more, as if your Alice and all you want to do is finish this life.
Yours Truly,


8 comments:

Nina said...

Great review! This book sounds haunting. I dont think it's right for me to read, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Unknown said...

This book sounds like it gets right into the heart of a very sad and soul-destroying tale. A brave book to write but not something I could stomach reading. Loved your review though.

Diana Dang said...

I wanted to read this one for awhile, thanks for the review!

Christina / Book Addict said...

I have wanted to read this one for awhile, too. This definitely sounds heartbreaking. Great review!

in which a girl reads said...

Great review!

This book was just so harrowing, and like you I couldn't put it down. It just hit me so hard--certainly not a pleasant read, but it was a great read :)

Eleni said...

Nice review, adding it to my list!

Unknown said...

great review, i really wanna read this sounds a little similiar to lovely bones which i loved so i'll have to give this one a try. I love writing that drags you in with the disturbing facts first.

Em said...

I've read all of Elizabeth Scott's books except for this one. Sounds like I need to even tho it's totally different from her other stuff.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design