Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Boys that Bite (The Blood Coven) by Mari Mancusi Review #27

Author: Mari Mancusi
Publisher: Berkley Trade
Pages: 272
Rating:
My mom is so going to kill me if she finds out I'm turning into a vampire...

Okay, so technically she can't because I'm immortal. Well, not yet. See, due to the worst case of mistaken identity with my dark-side-loving twin sister at a Goth hangout called Club Fang, Magnus, a vampire hottie, went for my innocent neck instead of hers. Now, if I don't reverse it in time, Magnus will be my blood mate forever and I'm doomed to be a blood-gulping, pasty, daylight-hating vampire. Believe me, it seriously bites!

After the unfortunate slaying of the vampire leader, it's up to me, my sister, and Magnus to find the one thing that can solve my problem--the Holy Grail. No joke. I seriously hope I can get out of this on time because, somehow, I scored the hottest prom date in my school, the mouth-watering Jake Wilder. And I do NOT want to be a vampire for the prom--let alone the rest of eternity.

What I liked....I enjoyed that it was a simple, easy read, that quickly got your attention. It's a page turner and will leave readers wanting more by the end of the book. Mari Mancusi brings out the old vampire myths in a new way, that will definitely have you laughing. The humor kind of reminded me of the, Vampire Kisses Series by Ellen Schreiber. I also enjoyed that Sunny was a type of character who really resisted becoming a vampire, even if she was a bit closed-minded, which put a spin on most YA vampire genre books. Also the vampire was the type of character who wasn't like: "Don't become a vampire! Live your human life!!" Instead he was a bit self-centered and lonely and wanted Sunny to become a vampire. I would think, if I were a vampire, that after living a million-bajillion years that you be a bit self-centered and greedy. Are the characters relatable? To me, not really. But can you imagine them and understand them? Of course. The authors makes a simple plot into a 272 page book, that's interesting, fast paste, and you don't have to really think a lot while reading it. It's not complex, which is nice. So I definetly recommend this to anyone, even if you hate the vampire-genre.
What I didn't like..... I found the main protagonist, Sunny, thoughts to be really annoying at times. I don't like to label people/characters, but I found Sunny to be way to preppy. Also in the book the word: "vampire" was brought up like every page. I undersand that she doesn't want to become a vampire, but do we really need to hear about it every second? Though these two things that I disliked are rather my compliants then stuff that would be wrong with the book. But also, it would make sense for the main character to be thinking about it a lot because if I were in this situation I'd probably do the same thing. But I just wished, the word: "vampire", was toned down a bit.
Also, at the end of the bok you get to see Rayne's POV. Basically she narriates the ending, and I found from her thoughts that she's identically like Sunny. Like I understand that they're twins, but for moments on end I felt like I was listening to Sunny not Rayne. Was that suppose to be that way? I don't know. When Rayne talks, she sounds different from Sunny.
In All... it was a great book that anyone would love to read and I definetly recommend the book. I didn't really find anything wrong with book, just one person compliants. Anyways till next time,


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design