Saturday, May 26, 2012

City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments #5) By Cassandra Clare Review #81

Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Pages: 534
Source: Chapters
Links: Amazon/Chapters
Rating: 4/5

The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace has been freed from her captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive to rescue him, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing–but so is the boy she hates, Sebastian, the son of her father Valentine: a son determined to succeed where their father failed, and bring the Shadowhunters to their knees.


No magic the Clave can summon can locate either boy, but Jace cannot stay away—not from Clary. When they meet again Clary discovers the horror Lilith’s dying magic has wrought—Jace is no longer the boy she loved. He and Sebastian are now bound to each other, and Jace has become what he most feared: a true servant of Valentine’s evil. The Clave is determined to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. Will the Shadowhunters hesitate to kill one of their own?


Only a small band of Clary and Jace’s friends and family believe that Jace can still be saved — and that the fate of the Shadowhunters’ future may hinge on that salvation. They must defy the Clave and strike out on their own. Alec, Magnus, Simon and Isabelle must work together to save Jace: bargaining with the sinister Faerie Queen, contemplating deals with demons, and turning at last to the Iron Sisters, the reclusive and merciless weapons makers for the Shadowhunters, who tell them that no weapon on this earth can sever the bond between Sebastian and Jace. Their only chance of cutting Jace free is to challenge Heaven and Hell — a risk that could claim any, or all, of their lives.


And they must do it without Clary. For Clary has gone into the heart of darkness, to play a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing the game is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she even still trust him? Or is he truly lost? What price is too high to pay, even for love?


Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.
I do not think there has been a single Cassandra Clare book I have not liked. Each and every one she writes get better and more exciting. I sometimes wonder how she continue on with the Mortal Instrument series so long and still have plot twists and plot ideas that boggle my mind and catch me off guard.

FIRST OFF.... if you have not read the others books in the series then I suggest not reading this review for it will probably contain spoilers of the last 4 books.

In the fifth book of the Mortal Instrument series, City of Lost Souls , Clary has learns that both Jace & Sebastian are missing. The Clave does not really seem to care about Jace.Worse of all is that the two boys are bound. Meaning the newly Jace thinks like Sebastian. Wants what Sebastian want. Does what Sebastian wants. So now with Sebastian cooking up an evil plan and Jace following along it up to Clary, Isabelle, Simon, Alec, Magnus, Jordan, Maia and a few others. However it must be noted that if you kill Jace then Sebastian will be killed. Kill Sebastian and Jace will die. They are bound. You cannot harm one of them without harming the other. Making it a intriguing plot mix in with all of Cassandra Clare's Specialities: Battling, Plot Twists, Emotional roller coaster, amazing description, setting and lets not forget memorable characters.

I enjoy City of Lost Souls just as I have with about any other Cassandra Clare novel. In this novel I cried (at the end), I gasped at shock and hit myself for not realizing something sooner. I also through my book across the room quite a few times out of frustration. In all Clare has a way with emotions, descriptions, character development and creating. She knows how to create a believable character in a fictional world (like the Shadow Hunters) and make it work. Throw in some surprises, make her characters go through hell and you've got a work of art. Admit it there has not been a single Cassandra Clare book that has not shattered part of are heart then have us long for the next book to fix it back in place.

Cassandra Clare also has a way with imagery. Her writing is flawless and is easy to imagine. It easy to dive into her books and not have a single moment of boredom.

What I liked most of this novel was that it did not just stay in one place. We got to see Paris, Prague and Ireland. As I read the novel I always felt like I was beside the characters, being where they were (even though I have never been there).

The humour also gets me every time. There is not a single novel without the unique humour that each and every characters shares with one another.

THERE IS ALSO SO MANY UNANSWERED QUESTIONS 0_________0 I have so many questions digging in my brain. I have so many conspiracies. DAMN IT!! Cassandra Clare what are you doing to your readers. Now I must wait a year until the six and final book of the Mortal Instruments come out, and the third and final book in the Infernal Devices trilogy.

ALSO I HATE SEBASTIAN. I thought I could love him...however nope. Though there is parts of him that I sympathize with. However I still hate him.

Also I think a lot of readers will be sad by the end of the book .Something happens that a lot of fans will not want to happen.

Ahh I really hope the sixth book isn't the final one T_T

3 comments:

Laura said...

Hi! I felt exactly the same way about City of Lost Souls, I almost cried in the end, too which is something that never, ever happens to me with books!

Italia said...

The search for Jace and Sebastian has been called off by the Clave, but Clary and her friends are not about to give up. Even if it means asking favors from the Seelie Queen, or striking deals with angels or demons, they'll do anything to get their golden boy back. But then Jace himself appears to Clary, and begs her to join him and Sebastian. Reckless Clary decides to go on her own, leaving the gang to find a way to sever the bond that unites Jace and Sebastian. Will they find the answer in time? Will the price be too high to pay? And just what is Clary willing to do in the name of love? As ever, Miss Clare brings on the epicness to a whole new level with this fifth installment to The Mortal Instruments.

If there's one thing I love about these books is all the plots and subplots and POV's going on at the same time. It's like is a 3D book where I'm always seeing many sides and having to connect the dots in my head. I love it. I've been reading this series for so long that the characters are like old friends by now. Friends who I love, but who also piss me off sometimes by their decisions. So I'm going to do this review a bit differently and give my opinion directly to the characters.

DaydreamerN said...

I just posted my review of this book and it was really cool to see yours. though we see things a little differently I really love your blog. great job.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design