Saturday, July 6, 2013

Darkness Before Dawn by J.A. London Review #83

Author: J.A London
Publisher: Harperteen
Pages: 342
Source: Library
Links: Amazon / Barnes and Noble/ Chapters 
Rating: 4/5 


We built the wall to keep them out, to keep us safe. But it also makes us prisoners, trapped in what's left of our ravaged city, fearing nightfall. After the death of my parents, it's up to me—as the newest delegate for humanity—to bargain with our vampire overlord. I thought I was ready. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the monsters. Then again, nothing could have prepared me for Lord Valentine . . . or his son. Maybe not all vampires are killers. Maybe it's safe to let one in. Only one thing is certain: Even the wall is not enough. A war is coming and we cannot hide forever.
Darkness Before Dawn is a dystopian-paranormal-romance book that takes place in Denver. The book starts off with Dawn, the protagonist, going off to party with her best friend Tegan. The readers quickly learn that Dawn isn't your-every-day average teenager but instead a delegate for Denver.  Essentially it is Dawns duty to be an ambassador and communicator between the humans and vampire relations. This is a job that has Dawn both liked and hated. It offer to her by Murdoch Valentine, an ancient noble vampire, after her parents have passed. Dawn, at the start of the novel, has the perfect boyfriend : Michael and is later introduced, and falls in love, with a vampire = creating a love triangle.

Those who are keen for the paranormal romance genre will be intrigue by this book. The writing, a mother-and son duo, flows pleasantly with the quick paste of the novel. This novel does have a moment of dullness. I did not find myself slumping through it or having to takes long breaks from it.

Dawn is quite mature for a YA genre but it makes sense with her background. I know some people complain about her mature-ness but I actually quite like it. Dawn is a character who--throughout the entire novel--I did not find myself hating. She cares deeply for those in her inner circle and worries a lot about others.

However, I have mixed emotions about Michael. Michael and Dawn do work well as a couple but some of the things he did pissed me off and made me pity Dawn. However, there were times when I thought they were paired adorable together. However, I am rooting for Dawn X Tegan not Michael X Tegan.

The character called Sin was awesome...and I wished there were more scenes with him in it.

Problems I had with this book are : a) I found the antagonists scenes were few and there  should have been more. b) Things would happen...the chapter would end...and then the readers are left wondering how the protagonist got from point a to point b.

Things I enjoyed about this book: a) fast paste b) written smoothly and flowed easily throughout the entire novel c) Sin d) Victor e) idea of dystopian world that has vampire in it d) character development between Victor and Dawn.

I also really liked Faith and Richard. I hope there is more of them in the next book.

The reason I gave it 4 out of 5 is that while it is a really good book it does not stand out much from other paranormal romance novels. The dystopian setting is a little bit different. I was actually quite hesitant before picking this up because with dystopians I am either for it or against it. Luckily with this novel it was  perfect blend.

Favourite Line (edited to avoid spoilers :D ):

"Faith rolled her eyes....'I understand...there's going to be a party. Based on the unflattering clothes you were wearing last night...well, I picked a couple of things out of my closet as a thank-you....'She likes you,' Victor says. I stare at him, dumbfounded. 'You're kidding. That's her liking someone?'" (pg. 301)

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design