Saturday, July 10, 2010

Prophecy of the Sisters By Michelle Zink Review #63

Author: Michelle Zink
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Pages: 368
Rating:

An ancient prophecy divides two sisters--one good, one evil.

Who will prevail?

Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, they find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents' deaths, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets.
I really don't know how to go about this review. A part of me enjoyed it and the other half didn't. It was an ok book for me and I think three stars represent that. I certainly will read the sequel.

I love reading books with the settings that are placed 100 to 1000 years ago. This novel is placed in the late 1800's in America, which to me is very uncommon. Usually I see books with that time period set in Europe. So I did welcome the nice change of setting, but throughout the book I had to remind myself that this wasn't a Hallowmere or Gemma Doyle type book because if gave off the same sort of vibe.

I commend Michelle Zink for writing so beautifully and portraying first person so passionately. I really felt that she had a firm grasp on first person and how to write it. What I did not like was the book felt to outlined. It was so plotted, that the novel became obvious and had no surprise effect on me.

The novel was rather slow and nothing really happened, or no action anyways. The end was a bit interesting because the antagonist is so ruthless that it kills someone close to them. And I was quite sadden by that character's demise, because that person didn't deserve it at all. But the aftermath was weird, because the antagonist is never brought to justice or arrested.

One other thing that I wish this novel had was more Alice. Alice is such a key part of the prophecy, but you see so little of her throughout the novel.

In character terms, I enjoyed reading from Lia's perspective. She was by far my favorite character, next to Alice. I felt because Lia and Alice were such an important part of the story, that they had more depth and personality then the other characters did which was fine but I'd like to learn more about Sonia and Luisa next time.

Overall Prophecy of the Sisters was a nice read and was well written. I will definitely keep my eyes open for the sequel, Guardian of the Gate.

Yours Truly,

4 comments:

Alyssa Kirk said...

Honestly, I had some mixed feeling about the first one but I did many things about it. I was waffling on reading this one but your wonderful review has convinced me to give it a try. Thanks!

Nina said...

Great and honest review. I have this on my tbrlist, so I am going to read this for sure. I love the description of it. A reader said that it reminded them a little bit of the tvshow Charmed, gotta love that.

Lizzy said...

I still haven't read this one, but have been thinking about it for a while now. I'll give it a try, but now that I know it's slowly paced, I won't push it to the top of my list. Thanks for the honest review!

Cindy said...

I had mixed feelings about this one, but overall, I liked it. Great review :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design