Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Blood Feud (Drake Chronicles #2) By Alyxandra Harvey Review #62

Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Publisher: Bloomsbury US
Pages: 258
Rating:

It's been centuries since Isabeau St. Croix barely survived the French Revolution. Now she's made her way back to the living and she must face the ultimate test by confronting the evil British lord who left her for dead the day she turned into a vampire. That's if she can control her affection for Logan Drake, a vampire whose bite is as sweet as the revenge she seeks.

The clans are gathering for Helena's royal coronation as the next vampire queen, and new alliances are beginning to form now that the old rifts of Lady Natasha's reign have started to heal. But with a new common enemy, Leander Montmarte—a vicious leader who hopes to force Solange to marry him and usurp the power of the throne for himself—the clans must stand together to preserve the peace he threatens to destroy.

This second adventure in the Drake Chronicles—told from both Logan's and Isabeau's perspectives—has all the same butt-kicking action, heart-pounding romances and snarky humor that readers loved in Hearts at Stake, as well as exciting new revelations about the vampire dynasties to keep readers coming back for more.

Why is this series not on the NYT Bestsellers yet? Seriously, who doesn't love reading about the Drake Chronicles? One, I got to applaud the author for giving a entertaining sequel that surpassed it's predecessor. All the complaints I had from the previous novel (in terms of writing and stuff) was gone from this book, which I was happy about.

When I first heard that this novel wouldn't be in Lucy/Solange POV, I was a bit apprehensive. Questions like, how would she do it? Would I still have the same love for the series, if it's in different characters POV? In the end Alyxandra did a excellent job at keeping the series excellent (maybe even better) with different characters POV. I also found it a refreshing writing style. I've never seen a author who has each book (series) in 2 different character POV. I really enjoyed it.

In this book, the POV are Logan and Isabeau. Isabeau is the girl you see at the end of Hearts At Stake. In the previous book I had problems with the characters POV being too similar, but that's not the case in this book. Logan and Isabeau POVs are so well written and developed throughout the novel that I really didn't need the name of who POV it was at the beginning of each chapter. Logan's quickly developed love for Isabeau is so well brought up and shown that you feel how passionate it is for him. Isabeau on the other hand has been through some major trauma, and is one determined/strong chick. You really connect with the pain she is feeling, you sympathize for her greatly. In the end Logan was my favorite character to read from, he's also probably my favorite brother in the Drake Clan.

The Information that was so quickly packed and confusing in the previous novel, because more clear in this novel. It's easier to understand the different species of vampires, though I think this novel would do greatly with a glossary instead of a family tree.

Something in end will happen to one or more of the antagonist, and it shocked me greatly. I couldn't believe it, and am now pondering how the series will continue. I thought this antagonist would be a main, reoccurring villain throughout it all but I guessed wrong. But I think this just makes me like the author even more, because I'm eager to find out what will happen next with the family. Though I did not enjoy the fact that this character was only shown only one or two pages in this book and then is killed. I wished we could of seen this person more.

The novel has less of Solange, Lucy, Kieran and Nicholas and I was kind of sad about that. I think my favorite line was went Solange was explaining how Nicholas locked Lucy in a closet to Logan. Quite hysterical.

I also got confused at some of the jokes/dialogue, but other then that the book was perfect. Like the previous one it's fast paced and there's never a dull moment. So overall I really enjoyed Blood Feud, more then Hearts at Stake. I found it was more entertaining, beautifully written and easier to understand. I definitely recommend this one, and I'll be on the look out for # 3 Out For Blood which comes out in Dec.2010.
Yours Truly,

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm the girl chanting "more more more" over here, I cant wait to read more, like you said, fast paced, with an awesome romance! Great review!

Natalie said...

I skimmed your review because I haven't read Hearts at Stake yet and I didn't want to read anything that would give things away! But I'm super glad you liked it! I just grabbed a free ebook of Hearts at Stake that Bloomsbury was offering yesterday, so I'm hoping to read it as soon as my Nook comes in the mail. Yay! :)

Test said...

Great review! I liked the first one this series quite a bit, so hopefully I'll enjoy this one as well.

The Drake Chronicles Facebook page said...

Thank you for the review! We have posted a link to the official Facebook page for The Drake Chronicles: http://www.facebook.com/thedrakechronicles.

Pasta Recipes said...

Your thee best

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design