Thursday, November 5, 2009

Immortal By Gillian Shied Review #21

Author: Gillian Shields
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 368
Rating:

Wyldcliffe Abbey School for Young Ladies, housed in a Gothic mansion on the bleak northern moors, is elite, expensive, and unwelcoming. When Evie Johnson is torn away from her home by the sea to become the newest scholarship student, she is more isolated than she could have dreamed. Strict teachers, snobbish students, and the oppressive atmosphere of Wyldcliffe leave Evie drowning in loneliness. Evie's only lifeline is Sebastian, a rebellious, mocking, dangerously attractive young man she meets by chance. As Evie's feelings for Sebastian grow with each secret meeting, she starts to fear that he is hiding something about his past. And she is haunted by glimpses of a strange, ghostly girl—a girl who is so eerily like Evie, she could be a sister. Evie is slowly drawn into a tangled web of past and present that she cannot control. And as the extraordinary, elemental forces of Wyldcliffe rise up like the mighty sea, Evie is faced with an astounding truth about Sebastian, and her own incredible fate.

Positives: It was fast paced, a bit interesting but not original and Agne's journal entries and character development was the best part of the whole book. I mean if this book was only focused on Agne and her journal then I probably would have given this book 5 stars. She is the only character who really has any development. Sebastian has some too. Now Negatives on to the of this book. There is a lot. I really hate giving bad reviews but if it come to that I will. Where do I start? First off the dialog was unrealistic and cheesey. The book was lacking good writing. The writing basically dragged the whole plot down the drain. The plot was interesting but the writing brought down the whole book. The romance was rushed. Evie's character wasn't developed much, especially her thoughts so when it came to a emotional part in the book the emotions were lacking. I mean when Sebastian and Evie fought, instead of feeling anger and understanding Evie's character, I laughed. Stuff was added randomly. Spoiler: Like when Sarah was a friend one moment and then the next she was able to see things, like the future. Like they never hinted at it. I don't remember the author hinting at it when I read it. Another thing is theres to much plot events which make it confusing. The ending ended with not all the events wrapped up. Meaning there will be a sequel. I will read the sequel hoping that it's better. I think this book could of had so much potential if it was worked out better and had lesser plot events. Also if the writing was written better. I felt Gillian Shields didn't really understand a teenagers mind. I mean I felt she didn't write for a teenage audience. I mean when she wrote adult characters in Immortals they sounded like adults but when she wrote teen characters it just was so unrealistic and cheesey. The whole first meeting with Sebasistian was to quick and cheesy. I just didn't enjoy this book. This book would get good, then fall, get good, then fall. I don't know it just wasn't my type of thing.

1 comments:

Kirthi said...

wow, it sounds spooky and scary and romance-y and irresistable! Nice reivew, I hope I can read this A.S.A.P

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design