Sunday, November 29, 2009

Betrayed (House Of Night Book. 2) Review #25

Authors: P.C & Kristin Cast
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Pages: 310
Rating:

ATTENTION EVERYONE, In celebration of this being my 25th review on my site, I'M HOLDING A CONTEST. That's right, you heard me correctly, a contest. The book I will be giving away is The Summoning by Kelly Armstrong. PLEASE READ MY NEXT POST, after this, BECAUSE IT WILL HAVE DETAIL IN HOW you can enter the contest. Thanks everyone :) Now on to the review!!!
Fledgling vampyre Zoey Redbird has managed to settle in at the House of Night. She’s come to terms with the vast powers the vampyre goddess, Nyx, has given her, and is getting a handle on being the new Leader of the Dark Daughters. Best of all, Zoey finally feels like she belongs--like she really fits in. She actually has a boyfriend…or two. Then the unthinkable happens: Human teenagers are being killed, and all the evidence points to the House of Night. While danger stalks the humans from Zoey’s old life, she begins to realize that the very powers that make her so unique might also threaten those she loves. Then, when she needs her new friends the most, death strikes the House of Night, and Zoey must find the courage to face a betrayal that could break her heart, her soul, and jeopardize the very fabric of her world.
So if you read my review on Marked, which is the first book in the House of Night series, then you might have noticed the difference between this books rating and Marked book rating. I gave Marked a Maura's Choice and I gave Betrayed (the sequel) a 3 stars. Why? Why did this one get a lower rating? Well I'll tell you. But first I'm going to positively say that the House Of Night series is a interesting series that gives a new spin on the vampire genre and even though this review will have mainly negative things, I don't want to discourage ANYONE from reading this. I still highly recommend this series, I just didn't like this book in the series. Also I give props to P.C & Kristin Cast for doing a interesting, different way of writing then most teen books on the YA market right now. I feel that the two authors of this book were able to really write the characters as if they were teenagers. But even so, the writing has a few flaws that I'm going to point out. I really hate giving bad reviews, but I want to be as honest as I can be about my thoughts on the book.
First off, the book is too slow. I found Marked, way more fast pasted then this one. At times I really had to force myself to continue reading. The thing is, the house of night series really lacks action. I said this in my previous review and I'll say it again. When I first began to read this, I was praying that there would be more action then Marked. Sadly, even though there was a bit more action, my prays failed.
Secondly, Characters. Some of these complaints are just personal observations. The one thing I hate that P.C & Kristin did was they made Zoey tell you things, instead of the character and author showing you it. Meaning I feel, now, that I don't really know Zoey. She tells me all these things about her personality, but I have yet to witness her portraying any of it. Also Zoey always say she is real dorky, but I feel she is more preppy. I don't want to label or anything, but that is what I feel. I feel Zoey's character hasn't developed properly. I really don't feel she's changed much from when she was first Marked. Yes, she has stop the whole: "Vampires wear all black" thing, but she still feels the same somehow. That's just how I feel. Also I feel that Erik and Zoey's love is underdeveloped. Like I don't feel any love, at all. I find it annoying how she goes back and forth between Erik, Heath, and Loren. Though I do feel a connection between her and Loren. Also I find Heath, less annoying in this book. I'm actually rooting for him and Zoey.
Another thing is Damien and Jack, there relation is going way to fast.

Thirdly, the writing. I don't think I've read a book that has used so much swear words in my life. I understand that we're teenagers and this book is directed to us, but could you please tone it down a bit. Another thing about the writing is the authors add things at the last minute that was never mentioned before, and you are like: what the hell?

Fourthly, the ending kind of seem sort of silly. I know this is fiction, but it just seem silly.

I know this review is 98% negative, but I still love this series. I feel that the first book was great, but the second one defiently didn't live up to it's expectation. Also series/books are never 100% perfect and I think that as a Book Reviewer, or anyone, it's important to point out the faults.


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design