Saturday, January 23, 2010

Hearts At Stake By Alyxandra Harvey Review #40

Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Publisher: Walker Books for Young Readers
Pages: 256
Rating:

On Solange’s sixteenth birthday, she is going to wake up dead. As if that’s not bad enough, she also has to outwit her seven overprotective older brothers, avoid the politics involved with being the only daughter born to an ancient vampire dynasty, and elude Kieran Black—agent of an anti-vampire league who is searching for his father’s killer and is intent on staking Solange and her entire family.
Luckily she has her own secret weapon—her human best friend Lucy—who is willing to defend Solange’s right to a normal life, whether she’s being smothered by her well-intentioned brothers or abducted by a power-hungry queen. Two unlikely alliances are formed in a race to save Solange’s eternal life—Lucy and Solange’s brother Nicholas, and Solange and Kieran Black—in a dual romance that is guaranteed to jump start any romance-lover’s heart.

Ahh, I've never seen a book as action packed as Hearts At Stake. How did you do it Alyxandra Harvey? Your mind must be a insanely world that produces amazing stories. Seriously, I've never seen so much adventure in a book then this novel has. The characters were always moving, there was never a dull moment. You'll be able to quickly read this book and it's very addicting because you certainly can't put it down *too much going on*. The story is told from both female protagonists, Lucy & Solange. Which was a nice idea, but lacked the character essence. Solange & Lucy sound the same and at times I thought Solange was Lucy while reading Solange's chapter. Though, both there motivation were what really set them apart, made me feel for them and understand who is who. The book is about Solange, who is about to be 16. And on her sixteenth birthday she'll become a vampire (also destined to be Vampire Queen). Now this probably doesn't sound abnormal, but Solange and her 7 older brothers are Vampire Born. They weren't turned, no they were born Vampires which is unusual in this novel. Solange is the only girl vampire born, making her somehow a threat or savior to everyone. Solange's life is very hectic, she gets love letters and people try to assassinate her daily. But thanks to her lovely, charming *and might I say handsome* 7 older brothers she is protected. We should also thank Lucy (Solange best friend) for being such a awesome friend who would risk her life Solange. Anyways the story & plot were very enjoyable, I didn't really have any problems with them. Alyxandra Harvey does a superb job of describing her story and writing dialogue. The characters were very fun to read about as well (even though I didn't relate to any one of them). My favorite characters were Solange & Logan. The romance in the story was a bit rushed and the romance between Solange & a Kieran was really undeveloped. The ending between her and him was unbelievable and made me cringe. Whereas Lucy & Nicholas was rushed, but felt real. The only other problem I encountered was the author put to much information in the first chapter which confused me throughout the entire book, till around the ending when I finally got the hang of it. This information also includes introducing all seven brothers. The book was very entertaining and I'll certainly be reading the sequel, but the ending didn't leave me craving for more. It made me frown, which is unusual for me. The ending, at first, was going really good and then what Solange did in the last sentence really turn me off. It was just to quickly put in there and the relationship Solange and Kieran have didn't need that yet.

So in the end Hearts at Stake will keep you at the end of your seat throughout the entire book. The book will go at warp speed which had it's goods and it's bad. So it's a good book, with a very developments that could of been made.
Yours Truly,

14 comments:

brizmus said...

*7* older brothers?!? That's insane! I sometimes have trouble with books that are too action packed, but this actually sounds kinds good.

Unknown said...

I cannot wait to get around to reading this. It sounds like a roller-coaster ride. Great review.

prophecygirl said...

I agree with your review and 3 stars. Sometimes I thought it was *too* packed, too fast. I think the next book will be better, because everything is established.

Shweta said...

I know I won't be getting to read this book a while but after the review I do want to read it. Now. I do like books that keep me at the edge of my seat.

Nina said...

Oh no, forwning in the ending is bad!! I dont think i am going to read this one, but I loved reading your review about it!!!

Diana Dang said...

Nice review. I doubt I'll read this one but we'll see. :)

Test said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Test said...

Nice review! I read this a couple of weeks ago and agree with most of what you said. Oh, and Solange & Logan were my favorite characters too. :)

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Great review! I reviewed this one myself, and I agree that it was DEFINITELY fast-paced. And I felt like the book mainly focused on Lucy when it was supposed to be about Solange. Err, and the ending just completely confused me, hehe.

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

This sounds really interesting! I'm sorry to hear the romance could be better though. Great review!

Alyssa Kirk said...

Jake won this so we'll read it. Thanks for a great review. I love action packed! Too bad about the flung together ending.

Nayuleska said...

The I loved the fast pace of the book. Glad you enjoyed most of it.

Valerie Kemp said...

Hey! I gave you a blog award today, come check it out here!

Eli said...

I have this on my shelf! Interesting review. I could use a action packed book right about now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design