Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Halo By Alexandra Adornetto Review #66

Author: Alexandra Adornetto
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Pages: 496
Source: Publisher (Thanks Ksenia)
Available: August 31,2010
Rating:

Three angels are sent down to bring good to the world: Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, a teenage girl who is the least experienced of the trio. But she is the most human, and when she is romantically drawn to a mortal boy, the angels fear she will not be strong enough to save anyone—especially herself—from the Dark Forces.

Is love a great enough power against evil?

I'm excited for the sequel!!! To bad it's not out until fall 2011. I must admit, I'm rather jealous and envious of Alexandra Adornetto. She's seventeen (same age as me) and has already published four books before she eighteen. I'll also admit that Halo (fourth and first book in the US, Australian Author she is) is a nice change in the paranormal genre. Instead of reading from the normal mortals POV, you see true love through the supernatural being. In this case that supernatural being is a angel.

The author did a excellent job of bringing the readers into her imagery world. You'll be easily sucked into the novel by the writing, characters and the amazing plot line. The story is rather slow and is very long (almost 500 pages), but you can't help but fall in love with it.

Bethany , like Sharon puts it, "basically starts out as a baby" . At the beginning Beth doesn't really get teenage culture. Which could also symbolize the confusion most teens feel in real life. Though with Beth it's worse. Examples of this are: not knowing how to put lip gloss on and not knowing what trains are. But further into the story she becomes older and finds her place in the world. The story shows the transition teens feel from being the awkward kid to becoming more secure in their own body. The only thing I didn't like about Beth was sometimes her dialogue didn't match her personality.

Xavier & Jake were the love interest in this book. Well, maybe only Xavier. I loved both, I kept thinking Xavier was Liam Hemsworth. Xavier was sexy, protective and basically any girls dream boy. He was perfect, but at the same time troubled. He kept this calm attitude to him, but inside he was conflicted. Jake on the other hand was the ultimate bad boy. At times I wanted to read more about him then Xavier. I actually was sad by the fact that he doesn't come in til like almost 300. There wasn't enough of him, until the end. Which was a downer, but I'm hoping he'll make a bigger mark in the sequel.

The bad guy was totally obvious. Beth even tells you who it is, before she/he appears. Which was kind of a bad thing in my eyes. When you read first person, your suppose to only know what the protagonist knows. Yeah you know some stuff before he or she does but not much. With Halo, I felt that by telling me in advance was a sour point. It left no surprise elements to the story.

The ending defintely leaves me wanting more. And by this I mean I'm impatient and want to read the sequel ASAP. I can't wait for it to come out in 2011.

Overall a wonderful story that will sure to be a hit with book lovers everywhere.
Yours Truly,

6 comments:

Unknown said...

oh wow! I did NOT know she is 17... amazing!!!

great review =D

LM Preston said...

Can I just say that cover rocks?

Nina said...

That's truly amazing, that the author is so young and has written so many books already. This book is on my wishlist. I cant wait to read my own copy of this wonderful, beautiful book. It sounds truly amazing. Though I don't like it that you already know who the badass is in the book.

Lola said...

Sounds like a fantastic read! It's officially on my TBR list! :)

Lizzy said...

I've seen this pop up on a few blogs lately, and have heard pretty good things about it. I had no idea that the author was only 17 (and with 4 books published!). I always think it's cool when teens actually get a chance to write for teens. Thanks for the review!

Ladytink_534 said...

Love that cover! Angels are appearing more and more in YA lately aren't they?

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Custom design by Linda of Berries and Cream Blog Design